2-Ingredient Coconut Yogurt
This is an easy, vegan, and gluten-free coconut yogurt with just 2 ingredients! Definetly a DIY that assures you your yogurt has no additives, sugars or any other things going on.
Its thick, rich, tangy, creamy, and perfect for breakfast, snacking or topping toast or pancakes!
This recipe is from Minimalist Baker and I had been dying to try it for some time! You can find my spin on it, trick and tips!
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk*
- 2 vegan-friendly probiotic capsules* (they need to be capsules, not pills, and these can be easily opened and emptied)
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean or vanilla extract
- I used the full fat Coconut Milk Whole Foods 365 full fat
- I used these Probiotic capsules RenewLife Ultimate Flora Probiotic
- Shake your coconut milk well. Then open and pour into a clean, dry glass jar or bowl. Whisk and blend in the milk until you get it completely smooth.
- Empty your probiotic capsules into the yogurt and use a wooden or plastic spoon to stir. Not metal, as a metal spoon can react negatively with the probiotics. Stir until creamy and smooth.
- Add in any additives and mix well *I added in Vanilla bean
- Cover the mixture with cheesecloth- I covered mine with a very thin and clean dish towel - something that lets air in but keeps bugs out) and secure with a rubber band.
- Let the yogurt activate for 48 hours in a warm place. But in cooler climates or seasons, place the yogurt in the oven with the light on (do not turn on the oven), where it should have the right amount of heat to activate.
- That's it, you have coconut yogurt!! Sample with a wooden spoon then cover securely with a lid and refrigerate until cold. Refrigerating thickened the yogurt even more, almost to a Greek yogurt consistency!
- Store covered in the refrigerator for several days.
Now my coconut yogurt was not as thick as a Greek yogurt consistency, which I would have liked, but I believe that it was because I did not use a proper cheese cloth.
Next time I make it again I will use a cheese cloth like this one!
But the taste of the yogurt was great and I am so happy I finally made it!