Spicy Eggplant Tomato Dip
This warm Moroccan eggplant and tomato dish is so good it can be eaten on its own, or served as a starter with pita bread. Today I added it to my salad bowl as a side... soooo good!
- 1 eggpant
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups diced plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of water (as needed)
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup cilantro
- Slice the eggplant in half the long way and broil at 450 for 15 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool. (Cover with aluminum so I can soften in its own heat vapor) You can separate the flesh of the eggplant from the skin or leave it. I love the skin so I personally leave it. Then pulse in a food processor.
- Add the tomatoes into a cool pan and cook for 10 minutes, cook on medium heat and them mash. Add all the spices and garlic.
- Add the eggplant and water if necessary. Cover the pot and let cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover and ass chopped cilantro and any additional salt and pepper.
- Let mixture simmer if it is too liquidy. The dish taste best when allowed to sit over night, garnish with cilatnro and lemon then enjoy!
- Serve it over rice, with salad, pita, falafel's.